Thursday, September 17, 2015

Prompt due Friday at midnight (9/18)

Write about something that you've heard about on campus that you feel passionately about-even if you haven't been able to do much with it yet. This can be groups, ideas, issues, etc. relating to the College or the greater world around us.

42 comments:

  1. It might be a little cliche and totally unoriginal, but I can't wait to be a part of the track and field team. High jump, long jump, and sprints have been a huge part of my life since seventh grade- and even before that I had been playing soccer with local leagues wherever we lived. So I've been active in sports pretty much my entire life. The thing is, I have always aspired to become a collegiate athlete for some weird reason, and watching my sister become one- and volleyball captain at that, has inspired and motivated me to become the best that I can be. I have hopes of breaking all four high jump and long jump records here at Wooster, and then participating at Nationals one, or maybe multiple times. I have taught myself throughout my high school track career to dream big, and aspire to be the best, all the while being humble about everything that I might accomplish. I know it will be a long, sometimes rocky road over these four years following my passion of jumping, but this mindset will continue to drive me on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Sports have been such a big part of my life and it's so great you are on the track and field team. Unfortunately, I was not able to get on my team because of overflow of candidates. I'm happy you were able to achieve your goal of becoming a collegiate athlete. I'm also really impressed that you can do track and field because I am terribly at running. I know running and even jumping over hurdles is a major challenge!

      Delete
    2. I do not think Carolyn's response sounds cliche. Goals are often what help us respond and perform well, in whatever we are doing. I look forward to seeing you compete on the track and field team at Wooster.

      And Sachi, I hope you find ways to compete. Many students do not participate in varsity sports but as an extracurricular activity instead.

      Delete
    3. There's nothing cliché about being excited to participate in the sport you love at the collegiate level. I am very excited myself to see how well you do in the spring.

      Delete
    4. Sports are a great way to get involved because they are a support group that you can rely on. It is great that you could participate in the sport you love.

      Delete
  2. On campus, I’ve heard about many activities that I am interested in. One club I heard about and am now interested in is Women’s Athletic and Recreation Association. A co-captain on the women’s swim team is the co-president of the Women’s Athletic and Recreation Association and she told me how the club got together and what they discussed during their meetings. I enjoyed listening to her because I want to help advocate for the right of girls to be collegiate athletes, as well as guys. Although Title IV is in affect on every campus and every team recognized by the federal government, sometimes advocating more for what you believe in will help one law go even further. I also believe that this club helps against discrimination against women’s sports teams. I believe that all single sex sports teams should be treated equally and fairly because it is what they deserve. Eventually, being a part of WARA will help me advocate for different women’s sports team, which I will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like a very appropriate club for you. It seems like you have a lot of interest in athletics and if you have a particular interest in opportunities for young girls and female athletes in general, this club will serve you well. I hope you find it helpful in your life at Wooster.

      Delete
  3. During Scots Spirit day I joined the psych club, but I haven't been able to do anything with it yet. There was an event, but I wasn't able to go. I don't have any psychology related anything since I didn't get into psych 101, so I am really excited about this club. Psychology is something I want to do, but I've had no experience with any psychology thing relatd; so I really want to know more about it. Especially, since I have decided to major in this I think its really important that I am in this club. I actually signed up for this event where I will listen to this psychologist in October, which is something I'm looking forward too. I also at first heard about the 4PAWS program and I LOVE dogs, but because of my allergies I don't know if I should try to join the program or not. I'm kind of stuck on the decision, I might wait til next year though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do become involved in the Psychology club. I also suggest you make an appointment with one or two of the Psychology faculty members. It helps to talk about the major with the faculty who teach in a given department. Find out what they like about their chosen field and how they got to this point- what are their research interests, etc.

      Delete
    2. Same for me when it comes to psych club! I wasn't able to go to the first psych meeting :( Maybe I'll see you at one of the meetings when we can both make it!

      Delete
    3. I am in the same boat, I would really like to get involved with the psychology club as well! I think that it will be a great opportunity for us to see a little deeper into positions in the field than what we will see from inside the classroom setting. Also, I think it will be a great way for us to meet more people on campus (students and faculty) who are involved and interested in the same things as we are!

      Delete
  4. While I have been interested and engaged in many of the groups I have joined, one in particular that I'm passionate about has been The Voice (the school's newspaper). My high school never had a paper, but I really enjoy writing about many different things, and have always wanted to work on a paper. My senior year of high school I actually created a school paper, though only one issue was ever 'successful'. I eventually hope to write for the paper, though I was a copy editor at the last meeting to sort of get to know the paper and the people who run it. It's really in a funny place in Lowry and the atmosphere walking in was pretty perfect. I really hope I stay involved and hope to write some articles soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, working on The Voice has been a good experience for students. If you have a chance, you may also want to contact John Finn at the College (jfinn@wooster.edu). He is in charge of a lot of what goes out in print that represents the College. He is the Director of Public Information for the College and has been here a long time. He might be able to help you consider ways to write while on campus.

      Delete
    2. Wow that's so great that you want to write in the school's newspaper. My school also did not have a newspaper, so I'm glad you now have the opportunity. To be honest, I did not even know The Voice was a thing here at Wooster. I believe a lot of great clubs were not able to make it to Scot Spirits because lack of space. I look forward to reading some of your articles, so good luck I hope you get to write some!!

      Delete
    3. That is so awesome! I think that being on journalism staffs are always a great way to meet and get to know new people! I am glad to hear that the atmosphere was welcoming, I have thought about trying to get involved with either the newspaper or the yearbook (The Index) but have yet to make any contacts with people in the groups. Please keep me posted on what you think of the staff, I would love to maybe join so we could work together!

      Delete
  5. One aspect of the college that I feel strongly about is all the volunteer opportunities that are available, especially those that involve going to local schools are working with kids. I have heard of many opportunities, like working at the nursery school, going down to mentor kids at the local schools in Wooster, and even groups like Boys and Girls Club and COW 4 KIDS. My mom is a teacher, and I used to volunteer in her classroom all the time, since I would be done with school before her in June. It is actually how I discovered my love of working with kids, and how I decided that I wanted to be a teacher. Being able to work with kids is something I really enjoy, and would really like to continue here at Wooster. I have not yet gotten involved in anything, but I plan on doing so very soon! Finding a way to continue volunteering in college is most defiantly something I plan on doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wooster Volunteer Network is a great place to start. There are many opportunities to work with young children in Wooster. You may want to make an appointment with Sharon Ferguson. She teaches in the Department of Education and teaches the introductory course in Education. She was a classroom teacher and a building administrator for years in Wooster, most recently retired from being the principal at Cornerstone Elementary School. She currently helps with the local Boys and Girls Club and knows a lot about volunteer opportunities in Wooster.

      Delete
    2. That's so interesting that you want to follow in your mom's footsteps! very interesting that her choices have influenced yours as well. Also, knowing what you want to do with your future so young really helps you in school, i can imagine. I wish i knew my future major!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Through the Wooster Volunteer Network I came in contact with a project with the Cornerstone Elementary school for working with children. I am really looking forward to this opportunity because 1. I am looking forward to be volunteering again and helping Wooster's society in a great way and 2. I miss my children from Vietnam so much and I can't wait to interact with children again! With that said, I also think this project contributes wonderfully to the College of Wooster in so many ways: for future educators, volunteers or people who just love kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome! That is what I am interested in too, so maybe I will start with the Wooster Volunteer Network! I think what you did over in Vietnam is amazing, and I am glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
    2. I have also been meaning to volunteer with Cornerstone. Have you had the opportunity to yet? I think its great that you had the chance to volunteer in Vietnam- your passion for it is very apparent. It's exciting that you have found an opportunity to continue this kind of work.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I am really looking forward to it too and if anyone is interested but unsure about that project, just ask me and I'll let you know once I have started and gotten used to it.

      Delete
    4. That sounds like a great opportunity! I think its perfect for your interest! I hope it's super fun and you enjoy it :) Keep us updated.

      Delete
  8. I am apart of woosang and I recently auditioned for a solo and I got it. I am, and always have been very passionate about singing. I was in choir for 4 years in high school and I was apart of an a capella group for two years. What I like about woosang is that we often sing for nonprofit organizations and charities. It's basically volunteering through singing! I am also looking for a way to volunteer with children because I want to work with kids when I'm older. I want to join the 4PAWS program also because I love dogs and I love seeing the dogs around campus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woosang sounds amazing! I never knew about it and I would love to hear you sometime! What solo will you be singing and where and when can I hear it?

      Delete
    2. Congrats on getting that solo! That's so awesome!

      Delete
    3. Congratulations on the solo. That is really cool that you have been in an a cappella group before. It is really cool that the a cappella group here sings for charities.

      Delete
  9. Here in Wooster I have already been taking part in the Football program here. I am actually writing this from an extremely fancy hotel in Indianapolis preparing for a game against DePauw tomorrow. It takes up quite a chunk of my time especially being in season. Beside football I really do wish to take part in the future educators program or maybe a fun intramural sport like Frisbee. I feel as though being involved with something beside football will help relieve stress from time to time and provide a more enjoyable college experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the hotel isn't just fancy. It's *extremely* fancy. Good luck with your football game! I hope you guys win. Getting involved in something besides football would probably help relieve some stress.

      Delete
    2. I hope your game went well yesterday! I know how sports can take up so much time in your schedule but it definitely helps because too much free time can be dangerous too!

      Delete
    3. 1. Hope the game went well.
      2. The frisbee teams often practice outside of my dorm and I can hear them. They seem to be having loads of fun! You should check them out! :)

      Delete
  10. I have been wanting to join Astronomy Club for awhile now, but I have not gotten around to contacting anyone about that. One of my friends is in Astronomy Club, so she told me that she’d let me know when the meetings are, but I’d personally prefer to just contact someone directly about that. I’m still not quite sure who to email about that. On the Wooster Student Organizations list, it gives some contact information, but I still don’t know whether to email the advisor or the president. I enjoy stargazing as I mentioned in my last blog post. I find it relaxing and fun to do with friends. Also, I’ve never really learned much about astronomy but I think it’s something that somewhat interests me. I plan to learn how to manage my time better so I can go to more events and meetings for clubs. So far, I have attended a few sorority events, but I’ve had to skip out on quite a few club meetings and sorority rushes due to conflicting times and making time to study. Hopefully I’ll find a way to make it work and be able to attend events for clubs/organizations more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Astronomy club sounds like so much fun! I love space and everything that goes with it, and that's awesome that you're interested in it! https://www.wooster.edu/students/organizations/special/astronomy/ here's the list of people involved that you can contact if you would like :)

      Delete
    2. That is a really cool idea. astronomy is a utterly vast and ever expanding field that, regardless if you have a total understanding of the field, you can still find enjoyment in it.

      Delete
  11. One particular group on campus which I am very interested and enthusiastic about being a part of is the Wooster Volunteer Network. Even more specifically, I am really looking forward to tutoring students at Cornerstone Elementary school. Although we are still in the beginning stages of scheduling for seeing students, I am really looking forward to meeting some of the kids of the school and getting to know them better. I think that this experience will be very beneficial for me to be a part of because it will allow me to have the opportunity to work with kids (which I LOVE to do) and will also give me a chance to make connections outside of campus in being more involved with the community. I really hope that this involvement with the Wooster Volunteer Program will not only benefit me by allowing me to get to know kids of the community but will also assist the kids by giving them any type of support that they might need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really clear how passionate you are about working with kids, and its cool to see. I have been meaning to get involved with Cornerstone as well, actually. It's interesting to see that you aren't only thinking about it in terms of working with the children, but also getting to know the community.

      Delete
  12. One group that I am interested in is the Wooster Volunteer network. I love volunteering and being able to give have to the community. It is a great feeling to know that you have made a difference in someone else's day. I am very busy, but I hope that I can find some opportunities to volunteer. I am also interested in the Wooster Future Educators club. I have been teaching and coaching for many years, and I have always loved it. In the future I (tentatively) want to teach Chemistry or Psychology at a high school level. This club would be a great opportunity to continue being able to work with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since I love animals and hope to work with them one day I thought eventually getting involved with 4 Paws would be super cool. I have no experience with service dogs or how to train them and it's not necessarily the field of work I want to go into but I thought it would be super cool to check it out. I learned about 4 Paws awhile ago while I was researching what Wooster had to offer. I think it's pretty hard to get involved in but I am not entirely sure. I am going to continue to research more and figure out who I need to contact so that hopefully one day I can be a member of 4 Paws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck!! I love dogs so much, and really miss mine at home:( Seeing the dogs around campus definitely helps though! If you ever have a dog with you for this group, call me up and I will come pet it!

      Delete
  15. Write about something that you've heard about on campus that you feel passionately about-even if you haven't been able to do much with it yet. This can be groups, ideas, issues, etc. relating to the College or the greater world around us.

    I am very passionate about geology, and on my second week in school the TA for my class asked if I wanted to major in Geology and I said "yes" so she said that I should go to Geology club. Since then in GeoClub we have been listening to seniors present their geology related projects and field trips, we also had a guest speaker about paleontology. which was really really cool. I think it will help me out in the long run on determining my I.S.



    ReplyDelete