Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Let's Talk About Setting

What year was your book set in? What was life like for children? (Both girls and boys). How does your main character fit into that mold? Do they fall outside of it? Would you want to live in this time period? What are the pros and cons?

19 comments:

  1. In the book Caddie Woodlawn, the book was set in the 1800's. Children's freedom was a lot more limited than it was now. Children were required to do labor such as washing dishes or making butter. Also, children were not in school as long because children were required to plow fields. As a result, children had less school in order to do their labor. The main character simultaneously fits into the mold and fall outside of it. Caddie still does the child labor of plowing fields like all other children, but she does not fit into the expected woman like behavior. Unlike other girls, Caddie is a tom-boy who loves to play with her brothers and go on adventures. I would not want to live in the same time period as the main character. In the 1800's slavery is still going on and is still supported. In my opinion this would be a con because I believe everyone should be treated equally. Also, I am also glad that in this day that the importance of school is emphasized because we are able to learn a lot more these days then in the 1800's. At the same time less school is a pro because then there is less work to do mentally. I would not mind doing chores or plowing fields instead of school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with myself. Childrens freedom has grown significantly since the 1800's. I am more appreciative of it because of the freedom I received as a child. There were many responsibilities children were inclined to do at such a young age. Luckily, Caddie was a special case where she got the opportunity to really be a child. Caddie was allowed to mature and grow up on her own pace, rather than being forced.

      Delete
    2. I agree with your thought about the importance of education in todays society, and how that is very beneficial for children!! Although school is sometimes a pain, being able to have an education is a great opportunity to have!!

      Delete
    3. I fully agree with your view on the importance of getting an education. In my book, education was also not as important as working in fields and doing labor but the focus of "Sounder" was on how the narrator always wished to have an education.

      Delete
  2. The book Caddie Woodlawn was set in the 1800s, but published in 1930s. Caddie was a free spirit, and a tomboy, which wasn't usual for that time period. Girls were supposed to learn how to cook and clean and sew, and boys were supposed to work. Her parents didn't raise her like her sisters, but rather more like her brothers. I would not want to live in this time period because slavery would still be going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Myra, Caddie was out of the social norm. Caddie was not the usualy girl in that time period, she did not learn the skills that girls usually learn at her age. Caddie had a lot more freedom and independence in that time. I too as mentioned earlier would rather not live in that time period because of slavery.

      Delete
    2. True, slavery would still be going on. I would not want to be around for that time period.

      Delete
    3. Besides, the people who wanted to fight against the Indians, they were kind of scary!

      Delete
  3. The book Sounder by William H. Armstrong was set sometime after the Civil War, but was published in the 1970s. Children during this time period were expected to help out at home, and many children did not attend school. Both boys and girls had to go through this, although their jobs may have varied slightly, with boys learning how to hunt and girls learning how to cook and clean in the house. This is shown through the protagonist of the book, as he and his family are share croppers, and so are often working out in the fields. The main character does have a bit of a different role in his family, since his father was arrested and he became the man of the house at an earlier age than most children around him. There are pros and cons to living in this time period, although following our main character and his family, the pros list may seem limited. As share croppers, they do not have tons of freedom, and are still very restricted. Even though slavery was just recently abolished, racism is still a big issue during this time. The family works long hours of tough physical labor, and the children of the story do not have the opportunity to go to school to read and write. All these cons seem to out weigh the pros, which could include that more emphasis was put on spending time with family, since the entire family would help to get all the work done that was needed. I would not like to live during this time period, just because of the lack of education and unfair treatment of other people still going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your point on how important it is to spend quality time with family rather than just looking at children as another way to get a pay check. I can not imagine growing up in such a cold and non nurturing setting.

      Delete
  4. I had the book "Caddie Woodlawn" by Carol Ryrie Brink and it was set in the 1860's. Life for children was very different then. They did not attend school as often as children do now and instead their responsibilities lay in the family by doing chores. Boys were responsible for outside chores like working in the fields and gathering nuts while girls learned household abilities such as sewing, baking and cooking. Caddie, the protagonist of the book, has been raised to not fit into the "usual" mold of how a girl was supposed to be in that age. As a tomboy, she grew spent her day more with her brothers.
    I myself would not like to live in this time period, maybe just for a day to experience the difficulties of the farm lifestyle. I like the idea that families were closer then but on the other side, working and living in the prairie back then was very harsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It would be nice having a close family, but the lifestyle was not easy to survive in.

      Delete
    2. Those were my reasons for not wanting to live in the the time period of my book as well!! Even though spending time with family is important, having to always be doing very demanding work all day long is not something I am totally up for!

      Delete
  5. Caddie Woodlawn was set in 1860s. Children back in those times were required to help out the family the best that they could. The main character of the book, Caddie, is a tomboy. Girls in the time period are raised to be housewives and stay indoors. Caddie is allowed to “run wild” with her brothers, but she does contribute to her family. Instead of cooking and sewing with her mother and sisters, Caddie collects butternuts and explores with her brothers. This was considered very rare and unusual for the time. She falls outside of the “mold” that is expected of girls in the 1860s. I would not want to live in this time period because I do not like the lifestyle. I would not be okay with staying at home all day and having to cook and clean. I would not like having to do things just because it is “lady like”. I would not necessarily be like Caddie in wanting to run around outdoors. Back in those days, girls do not as many rights as they do now. I would not be okay with that. The pros of living in the 1860s would be local food and that is about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I would so be down for trying their food..at least for a day!

      Delete
    2. I can't even imagine growing up as a girl then. It's interesting to see a character set outside the mold. When was this book written?

      Delete
  6. The children’s book “Sounder” written by William H. Armstrong was set sometime after the Civil War, which we know due to the reference of his family being share croppers. This was a very difficult time for children because the main focus of the family was always on getting as much work done as possible so that the family can take care of themselves. Although this makes sense, it was hard for children who could not contribute to working because they were often not given any attention. This is also a challenging time for older children too. The main character was just reaching the age where he could start contributing to the family, but was still young enough that the parents did not fully trust him and still treated him like a child when he felt more like an adult. Another negative to living in this time was that unfair treatment was given to families of color. These differences in racial treatment were shown through the family of the narrator in brutal and cruel ways. Shown through the treatment of the father being taken to jail, the audience can only imagine what it was like for other families under these same conditions. With all this being said, it would be a very different experience for me to be living during this time period in comparison to the narrator. As someone who is white, I would not have had to deal with most of the challenges that the narrator faced every day. My experience in living during this time period would have been in contrast with the narrator, not having to deal with racial bias, I would have had a much easier life path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really interesting to draw parallels between then and now. Many of the issues are still issues, just sometimes brushed to the side because we believe we've completely solved them. While children don't usually do that much work, its definitely relate able in how the parents relationship is with them, at least in this sense.

      Delete
  7. Moon over Manifest followed two stories, essentially. While the main story was set in 1936, the story built to illustrate her fathers past was set in 1917/1918. Abilene, the child main character, was essentially an orphan. Life living in poverty was a lot harder and made hopping trains common knowledge. Kids living in poverty today usually have help from the government through foster care, food stamps, free/reduced lunches, and other government programs.She had a lot more free reign in her life- able to run around town without the fear of being kidnapped or killed. I really would not like to live in this time period as it is set during the great depression. All of their lives were fairly complicated due to this. It's a world away from the lives we lead today. A pro may be that they have more practical skills such as sewing, building, etc.

    ReplyDelete