Friday, September 11, 2015

Prompt due by Friday at midnight (9/11) 

 

How are you getting involved on campus? Did you sign up for any clubs at Scot Spirit Day? Have you gone to any group meetings? What did you like/not like? What other groups or resources are you interested in finding out more about? 




36 comments:

  1. On campus, I am involved in a many different ways. Of course one way is being a student. I am also an active participant in the community. I am an active participant in the Wooster community because I follow community standards. Following community standards is very important to me, because like I had in high school; there is an ethics code at Wooster, which I strongly believe in. I also am on the swim team, which I participate in volunteer events, such as selling concessions for the first football game the other weekend. On Scot Spirit Day, I signed up for two clubs that I am interested in. Although, I do not remember their names because I have not received emails from them yet. I also am possibly interested in participating in Greek life on campus because, after graduating from all girls’ community, it is sometimes nice to get back to that and bond with ‘sisters’. I have not yet attended a group meeting yet for a club/organization because I have not received any notice of any meetings. I am interested in finding out more about the clubs I signed up for and am eager to hear and receiving emails from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not sure but this is mine^ i don't know why it says it is posted as an unknown subscriber

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have involved myself in the Wooster community by joining many clubs during Scots Spirit Day. I signed up for the psych club, education club, break dancing, dancing team, all the sororities, and COW4KIDS. I have only been to meetings for some of the clubs because not all have had meetings yet. I went to the break dancing club meeting which was really fun, but really tiring. I am ready to learn new moves and improve my dancing. I was ok at the basics, but I really need to work on them. I have not decided whether I want to join a sorority yet. I have only visited two sororities, but once when I visit all of them I will make a decision. I really want to join COW4KIDS, but there are many requirements to join this club and I'm not sure if I will qualify for it. If COW4KIDS does not work out then I will just join the volunteer network. I'm not sure if I want to join the education club because I haven't decided if I actually want to do anything in that kind of field. Those are the only meetings I went too, excluding the education club. I am not going to join all of these clubs, so I will have to eliminate some. Oh and I also wanted to do intramural volleyball, I'm in the process of forming a team. I have really liked all the meetings I have gone to so far, so my decision will be very hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COW4KIDS sounds like a wonderful thing to do, and will surely been fulfilling and fun. I too am looking to interact with kids this school year by coaching a basketball team through the Wooster Volunteer Network.

      Delete
    2. I have heard a lot of people mentions COW4KIDS, what exactly is it? I love working with kids, so since thats in the name, it sounds pretty cool!

      Delete
  4. So far I have gone to quite a few campus events and club meetings. The meetings have mostly been informational and not quite so interactive. I have been to the Chemistry meeting, where we discussed possible things we would do in the future, and introduced ourselves to one another. I thoroughly enjoyed the swing dancing lesson, as I have done that in the past and really enjoyed it- I know I will stick with that club. I have also gone to the informational meeting on Wooster Volunteer Network which I plan on getting involved in, and might consider living in a program house next year. I also would like to get involved with COW4KIDS, if possible. I did try Zen meditation, but it was really not for me. I am planning on going on a hike with WOODS which I hope to be very involved in. I also am going to the first yoga lesson on Sunday, and if all goes well, will drop in on some of those every once in a while. I went to the pre-health meeting and will hopefully get more involved in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really cool how you're involved with all of those things. I knew about everything you were talking about except for the swing dancing lessons. I have no rhythm so dancing isn't exactly my thing but thats really cool that you're into it :). Maybe if y'all every perform I could come watch!

      Delete
    2. I love that you are looking at such a wide variety of different things to get involved in around campus! It sounds like you will keep yourself busy, but all with good things. I really enjoyed the volunteer programs that they discussed at the Wooster Volunteer Network meeting and plan on getting involved with the elementary school tutoring. I do not know what you thought of it but it sounds like a very helpful and supportive group to me.

      Delete
    3. You have such a broad horizon with what you've picked to try to be a part of, and I think that's a really awesome way to find a good and steady college niche!

      Delete
  5. In the few short weeks that I have been at Wooster, I have already become very involved! I arrived early on campus to participate in band camp for the Scot Marching Band, and continue to do that until November. I am also going to be doing Track and Field, which I will be starting training for very soon. On Scot Spirit Day, I signed up for the Wooster Future Educators Association, the Dance Company, and Woo-Undead. I have not gone to a meeting yet, but I have heard from a few of these groups, and am planning on attending the first meeting! Another part of campus that I hope to get involved with is volunteering in some way. I really enjoy helping others, and did a lot of volunteer work in high school, so its something I want to continue! I am looking at something to do with kids, but am really up for anything! I am excited for everything I have signed up for this year, and can’t wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg your going to be so busy with all those commitments, but thats great! I didn't even see the Woo-undead, was that the club where its zombies against zombie hunters? It's so brave of you to do the audition for the dance company, I hope you pass the audition. I also signed up for the Wooster Future Educators Association so I guess I'll see ya around.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Woo-Undead is the zombie game that they have later in the year. I thought it sounded fun! And you are allowed to drop out of the game at any point, so why not at least try right!

      Delete
    3. My roommate told me about Woo-Undead awhile ago, but I didn't really know what she was talking about. It sounds really fun, so I wish you good luck with that. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
    4. You go girl! I can't wait to start track and field with you! Long jump buddies!

      Delete
  6. I am not really involved on campus yet, but I plan to get involved. I am actually really thankful for Scot Spirit Day because I got to look around at clubs that I never really considered joining. At Scot Spirit Day, I signed up for Psychology Club, k(NO)w, Wooster Volunteer Network, a bunch of sororities, and probably a few others that I cannot remember. I have not attended any group meetings other than a few sorority get-togethers. I think that I accidentally missed the first meetings of k(NO)w and Wooster Volunteer Network. I like when clubs/organizations remind me of upcoming meetings/events because there is so many to try to remember. I also like going with my friends to meetings/events because then I feel like I am not alone, but I can still meet new people. I do not like when music is playing so loud that you cannot hear other people. I also do not like super crowded places, especially when it is hot. The only other club that I am interested in getting to know more about is Astronomy Club. I really like star gazing because I find it relaxing, so I am probably going to try to email someone about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also am very thankful for Scot Spirit Day. It allowed me to be able to really appreciate all the various interests on campus. And I love that you enjoy star gazing, my friends and I often would drive up a mountain near where I live and just sit on the top of our car and look at the sky at night. Its always wonderfully relaxing and allows you to actually think.

      Delete
    2. I totally understand what you mean about appreciating when the clubs send reminders of different meetings, it is so hard to keep track of all of the different schedules. On another note, I went to the first Wooster Volunteer Network meeting so if you are still interested in joining, just let me know. They mainly just informed us of the different programs that are available for us to volunteer with so I could catch you up on all of the information that they shared!

      Delete
  7. I am currently involved in an a capella group (woosang). At scot spirit day I signed up to audition for a capella groups and I signed up to rush sororities. I also signed up for the psychology club. I have attended one meeting for woosang and everyone was really nice. There were only three freshman that got in, and the upperclassmen were very supportive and are holding a bonding night next weekend! I am excited to learn more about the sororities and to learn about what the psychology club does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra I didn't know you could sing! Congratulations on joining and being one of the few freshman to get in! I hope all goes well and I look forward to hearing you sing.

      Delete
    2. Wow Myra, we pretty much have the same interests. No wonder we're friends. I'm so proud of you for getting into Woo Sang! I'll totally be there for your solo. And I'll be seeing you at the rushes as well.

      Delete
  8. As I have jumped into my new endeavor, I have been through a whirlwind of new experiences. I am a tad overwhelmed, but luckily I have good friends to keep me sane. I went to the club fair one day and thought it was hot and overwhelming, which did nothing to improve my mood, but I ended up meeting some new friends, which did. I signed up for various sororities and B.O.D (Brother of Diversity) Club. I went to an all girls school where we shared a sisterly bond, so I figured a sorority would be a good idea to join so I can feel that bond again. The B.O.D club focuses on discussing subjects that are sometimes hard to talk about, as well as ways to empower one another, which I also want to do to learn and understand other’s points of view.
    Other than the club fair, I went to the writing center and got help on my final draft for my essay. I was not too sure that the writing center was going to be of much help, but I actually found it quite helpful and Bird (the girl who helped me) was extremely nice and not judgmental, which made me feel more at home.
    All in all, I am starting to get used to college life and everyone so far is friendly and willing to help. It seems like these four years at Wooster are going to be pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had the same idea of joining a sorority for the sister aspect! i also graduated from an all girls school so i totally understand that while getting out of there was nice but sometimes it's just nice to be your girl-friends.

      Delete
    2. This is the first time I have heard of the B.O.D club, that sounds so cool! I hope you enjoy it, and you will have to let me know how it is!!!

      Delete
  9. I joined a few new clubs this week. I am very interested in politics so I joined Americans for Liberty, College Democrats, the Wooster Volunteer Network, and Peace Corps. So far the only meetings that have come about are the Americans for Liberty and the Wooster Volunteer Network. My interest in the Wooster Volunteer Network and the student government association has to do with a feeling of the need to intimately understand the intricacies of budgeting and learning how to aptly represent people whose ideas may in fact differ from my own. I also want to be able to meet up with people who have similar interests as me.
    I have spent the vast majority of my time in the library studying and reading but I also realize that meeting folks on campus is incredibly important. For this same reason, and a feel for exerting energy I feel as if I need to participate in intramural sports. These sports will not only engage me in exercise and activity but will also allow me to meet intriguing and different people. I am excited and fully ready to jump into what this campus has to offer. I, so far, am having a great time and believe this school has the potential to fulfill all the desires I have for my college experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What things were you interested in getting involved with at the Wooster Volunteer Network? I know I was looking into tutoring and some of the sporadic events they had listed. Also, these all sound so impressive and that's kind of intimidating but also extremely cool that you're interested in all of that! I think its really important that you enjoy keeping an open mind and hearing what other people have to say, even if the ideas are different than your own. I was also hoping to do some intramural sports, but I haven't decided which one yet. Did you choose one?

      Delete
  10. My main commitment on campus (outside of academics) is being involved with the women’s varsity tennis program. But beyond this, I have many different interests about things and activities that are offered at Wooster. Although I could not make it to Scot Spirit Day, I still emailed people from the Wooster website who were linked to somehow being involved in some of these groups. I have contacted people from Wooster Activities Crew, Circle K, and the Wooster Volunteer Network.
    From these contacts, I have attended meetings for both, the Circle K group and for the Wooster Volunteer Network. Both of the meetings were interesting and the people involved were very nice but after hearing from both, I feel that the groups are similar enough that from a time stand point, it would probably just be best for me to only be a part of one of the groups.
    From here, I plan on attending a meeting with the Wooster Activities Crew to see more about what being a part of the group would entail. Also, I would like to do some more research and find a contact to talk to someone about being a part of The Index (the school’s yearbook). I feel like this would be a great opportunity for me to take part in, and I would really like to find a group which involves journalism because I am very passionate about it. From here, I may want to join more clubs later in the year but because I do not want to overload my schedule with too many things to handle, this is all I am planning to do for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to you for emailing the activities you want to get involved with. What kind of things were you planning on volunteering? I definitely want to do a lot of volunteering as well. What is Circle K? I didn't know you were into journalism- the yearbook sounds like a great thing to get involved with. I definitely understand the whole not wanting to overload thing, I have a busy week and will definitely have to quit going to a few clubs.

      Delete
  11. Scot Spirit day was a great way for me to see what's going on around campus, and I was able to experience many things. I am interested in the equestrian club, the Wooster Future Educators club, the yoga club, and others. The only meeting that has been held was the equestrian club, and I can't wait to start lessons! Another thing that I would be very interested in doing is COW4KIDs, as I feel it would be a great opportunity for me to become more involved in the education network around campus.
    Of course, my main focus here on campus will be track and field which starts in a little less than two weeks, so I tried to not overload on different clubs and organizations right off the bat. I am excited about my choices, though, and I hope to be able to participate in all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I signed up for Wooster volunteer network, and to receive more information from the Wooster Future Educators. I would love to become more involved around campus. I am also on the swim team which will be a large time commitment as well. I hope that I will be able to participate in many activities. I also might be interested in participating in ski club or outdoor adventure club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you going to join the WFE club? Because I am thinking about it but I don't really want to go into a educating career (I think).

      Delete
    2. Are you going to join the WFE club? Because I am thinking about it but I don't really want to go into a educating career (I think).

      Delete
  13. I wanted to sign up for COW 4 Kids too, but when I was at the meeting I found out that I wasn't able to join because you need to have driver's license and a clear driving history. I have German license that is valid but I haven't driven in a year (and I don't think motorbikes count) and a year ago I also had a car accident so... now COW 4 Kids for me until I get my American driver's license. I was really looking forward to it actually so I was super sad when I found all that out. But I joined the Volunteer Network as well and they offer cool programs with kids as well and they hooked me up with another FYS group that goes bowling every Tuesday with disabled kids. YAY!
    I also started swing dance lessons which are suprisingly fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to participate with another form of ID. Talk to the president about finding an exception (like a passport)

      Delete
  14. I wanted to sign up for COW 4 Kids too, but when I was at the meeting I found out that I wasn't able to join because you need to have driver's license and a clear driving history. I have German license that is valid but I haven't driven in a year (and I don't think motorbikes count) and a year ago I also had a car accident so... now COW 4 Kids for me until I get my American driver's license. I was really looking forward to it actually so I was super sad when I found all that out. But I joined the Volunteer Network as well and they offer cool programs with kids as well and they hooked me up with another FYS group that goes bowling every Tuesday with disabled kids. YAY!
    I also started swing dance lessons which are suprisingly fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am currently participating in Men’s Golf, Men’s Swimming, Geology club, and I am looking at rushing the fraternity Phi Sigma Alpha, I have been to three out of the three geology club meetings and I have been to the first rush for Sigma’s , I haven’t really looked at joining any more groups due to the amount of things on my plate at the moment, but if things slow down in the coming years or semesters then I will start to pursue other clubs. I continue to love the people on this campus and how willing to help or support or welcome the freshman class and or new students.

    ReplyDelete